Dr. Todd Allen began his professional career as a submarine officer in the U.S. Navy where he learned the practical applications of operating a nuclear power plant as well as how to take a submarine to periscope depth. Following active duty, he built on that practical Navy experience by earning a Ph.D. in nuclear engineering with specific focus on how radiation changes the physical properties of metals.
From 2013-2016, he helped lead the Idaho National Laboratory as the Deputy Laboratory Director for Science & Technology, including being an important contributor to the development of the Gateway for Accelerated Innovation in Nuclear (GAIN) initiative announced at the White House in November 2015.
He is the author of over 200 technical publications and holds degrees in nuclear engineering and management information systems.
- American Nuclear Society Material Science and Technology Division 2012 recipient of the Outstanding Achievement Award for leadership and many contributions to the nuclear materials area
- American Nuclear Society Material Science and Technology Division Special Achievement Award (with Lance Snead) (2010), For their pioneering efforts to in the creation of the Nuclear Fuels and Structural Materials for Next Generation Nuclear Reactors (NFSM) technical topical meeting
- American Nuclear Society Young Engineer Award (2002)
- Argonne National Laboratory Pacesetter Award for outstanding performance (2001)
- American Nuclear Society Material Science and Technology Division Literary Award (Best Journal Article) (2000)
- American Nuclear Society Material Science and Technology Division Literary Award (Best Journal Article) (1998)
- American Nuclear Society Graduate Fellowship, five awards (1991-1995)
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honors Society, inducted 1989
- “A Step-by-Step Guide to Nuclear Innovation Policy”, Best Policy Study-Report Produced by a Think Tank 2016, 2016 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report
- Fellow, American Nuclear Society November 2018
- Ying Yang, Kevin G. Field, Todd R. Allen, Jeremy T. Busby, Roles of vacancy/interstitial diffusion and segregation in the microchemistry at grain boundaries of irradiated FeeCreNi alloys, Journal of Nuclear Materials 473 (2016) 35-53
- Benjamin Maier, Young-Ki Yang Todd Allen, Ph. D., Silver diffusivity measurement in ZrC with SIMS to study the release behavior of 110mAg for nuclear fuel applications, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 478 (2016) 135-143.
- T. Hunt, A. Laspe, J.T. Rojas, Y.K. Yang, and T.R. Allen, Quantification of Mass Loss Dependence on Sample Orientation in 5xxx Series Aluminum Alloys, Corrosion—Vol. 72, No. 2 2016, p. 187.
- T.J. Gerczak, J.D. Hunn, R.A. Lowden, T.R. Allen, SiC layer microstructure in AGR-1 and AGR-2 TRISO fuel particles and the influence of its variation on the effective diffusion of key fission products, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 480 (2016) 257-270. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2016.08.011
- Donghua Xu, Alicia Certain, Hyon-Jee Lee Voigt, Todd Allen, Brian D. Wirth, Ballistic effects on the copper precipitation and re-dissolution kinetics in an ion irradiated and thermally annealed Fe-Cu alloy, The Journal of Chemical Physics (Vol.145, Issue 10), DOI: 10.1063/1.4962345
- D. S. Grierson, G. Cao, P. Brooks, P. Pezzi, A. Glaudell, D. Kuettel, G. Fischer, T. Allen, K. Sridharan, W. C. Crone, Creep Crack Growth Behavior of Alloys 617 and 800H in Air and Impure Helium Environments at High Temperatures, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions E (2016), p. 1-9.
- Olive, D.T., Ganegoda, H., Allen, T., Yang, Y., Dickerson, C., Terry, J., Using a spherical crystallite model with vacancies to relate local atomic structure to irradiation defects in ZrC and ZrN, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 475 (2016) 123 – 131.
- Sarah Khalil, Todd Allen, Anter EL-Azab, Off-stoichiometric defect clustering in irradiated oxides, Chemical Physics 487 (2017) 1–10.
- L. He, X.M. Bai, J. Pakarinen, B.J. Jaques, J. Gan, A.T. Nelson , A. El-Azab, T.R. Allen, Bubble evolution in Kr-irradiated UO2 during annealing, Journal of Nuclear Materials 496 (2017) 242-250.
- Steven E. Aumeier and Todd Allen, How to Reinvigorate US Commercial Nuclear Energy, Issues in Science & Technology, Volume XXXIV Issue 2, Winter 2018.
- G.Meric de Bellefon, I. M. Robertson, T.R. Allen, J-C van Duysen, K. Sridharan, Radiation-resistant nanotwinned austenitic stainless steel, Scripta Materialia Volume 159, 15 January 2019, Pages 123-127.